In this article we’ll explain how you can quickly, easily and securely upload your website files to your Ecenica web hosting plan. There are a number of ways to upload your website files and we’ve explain the two easiest and most popular ways below.
Which directory do I upload my website to?
You’ll need to upload your website files to public_html. The public_html directory is the public directory for your primary domain on your Ecenica hosting plan.
Uploading your website using cPanel File Manager
We recommend cPanel file manager for uploading a small number of files or uploading a zip file. It’s easy to use and is a built-in feature of our control panel, so you do not need to install any extra apps.
- Log in to cPanel.
- For help accessing your cPanel see Where do I log in to my hosting control panel
- Click File Manager.
- Open the public_html folder by double clicking it.
- Click Upload
- Drag and drop the file you wish to upload or click Select File to browse to the file you wish to upload. Once you have selected a file a progress bar will appear showing you the status of your upload.
- Once the progress bar reaches 100% your file will have been uploaded. Click Go Back to “/home/user/public_html”
- Your new file will now appear in the directory.
- If you have uploaded a zip file, select it and click Extract to decompress it.
See How to use File Manager for more tips on using File Manager.
Uploading your website using FTP
FTP is great if you have a number of individual files to upload, or if you are planning to make regular changes to your website files.
There’s a number of FTP apps available for PC, Mac and even smartphones and tablets, so the choice is yours. Our recommendation is FileZilla, which is free to install and quick and easy to use.
For other FTP clients, see Getting Started FTP for connection details.
One tip is to upload a zip file via FTP and use cPanel File Manager to extract it.