In this article we’ll show you how you can cut spam sent through your Contact Form 7 by setting up a Honeypot on your form. The Honeypot helps reduce spam generated by bots without the need for a captcha.
Please note, the steps below apply to forms you’ve already created with the Contact Form 7 plugin for WordPress.
Steps to Set Up a Contact Form 7 Honeypot to reduce spam
- Log in to your WordPress Dashboard
- Click Plugins > Add New
- Search for contact form 7 honeypot
- Click Install Now next to Contact Form 7 Honeypot
- Click Activate
- Click Contact > Contact Forms
- Edit a form.
- Select the Form entry window and click Honeypot
- Change the Name to something random, do not use honeypot.
- Click Insert Tag
- Click Save to save your changes to your form.
Your Contact Form 7 Honeypot is now set up. Your form will look the same as before to human vistors, but the Honeypot plugin will help trap spambots.