Password protection can be an effective way to secure your WordPress website. One of the easiest ways to password-protect your WordPress site is by using a plugin. In this guide, we’ll go through the steps to install, activate, and use the ‘Password Protected’ plugin for WordPress.
To install the ‘Password Protected’ plugin, follow these steps:
- Login to your WordPress dashboard.
- From the left menu click Plugins > Add New.
- Search for Password Protected. Click Install Now next to the Password Protected plugin.
- Once the plugin is installed, click Activate.
- After activating the plugin, click Settings.
- Select the Enable Password Protection checkbox and enter a password in the ‘Password’ field. Click Save Changes.
Once you have activated and configured the password protection settings, visitors to your site will be prompted to enter the password you set in order to access your site. To test the password protection, open a new private browsing window or use a different browser that you haven’t used to access your site before.
When you try to access the site, you should see the message you set with a password prompt. Enter the password you set and click ‘Submit’. If the password is correct, you should now be able to access your website.