If you can receive but cannot send email, or you sometimes see a warning message ‘cannot connect’ or ‘enter password’ then it’s likely your ISP is restricting access to your Ecenica SMTP through the standard port 25.
This article will show you how to resolve this error by changing the default SMTP port number in popular email apps including Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail on MacOS and Mozilla Thunderbird.
How-to change the SMTP port in iOS Mail on iPhone and iPad
- From the home screen tap Settings
- Tap Mail
- Tap Accounts
- Tap your Ecenica email account
- Tap Account
- Tap SMTP under Outgoing Mail Server
- Tap your Primary Server
- Slide Use SSL to **On*
- Enter 587 for Server Port
- Tap Done at the top right
- Tap Account at the top left
- Tap **Done at the top right
How-to change the SMTP port in Microsoft Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010 & 2007
- Open Outlook
- Click File > Account Settings > Account Settings…
- Select your Ecenica email account and click Change…
- Click More Settings …
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Under Outgoing Server (SMTP) Use the following type of encrypted connection, select SSL
- Check the Outgoing Server (SMTP) port number is set to 465 and not 25
- Click OK
- Click Next
- Click Finish
How-to change the SMTP port in Apple Mail on MacOS
- Open Mail
- From Mail’s top menu click Mail > Preferences
- Select your Ecenica email account on the left
- Click the Server Settings tab
- Untick Automatically manage connection settings
- Enter 465 for Port.
- Tick Use TLS/SSL
- Click Save
- Close the Accounts window
How-to change the SMTP port in Thunderbird
- Open Thunderbird
- From the main menu, click Tools > Account Settings
- Click Outgoing Server (SMTP) on the left
- Select your Ecenica account and click Edit
- Enter 587 for Port.
- Select STARTTLS from the Connection security drop-down list.
- Click OK
- Click OK again to return to your Thunderbird inbox view